Monday, August 2, 2010

Taicee's NAIDOC speech & Traineeship

Taicee Pearson who is a leading art student in the school has been offered a traineeship with Djumbunji Press and is to be congratulated on her offer. Taicee will soon be going to this two days per week and learning about life as a full time artist. Taicee recently delivered an excellent speech at the gathering for NAIDOC week which is an example of her skills and talent.

APPRECIATING THE OPPORTUNITIES AT DJARRAGUN COLLEGE

Good morning invited guests, staff and students
My name is Taicee Pearson and I am in Yr 11. I am originally from Port Headland, but now living on Yam Island. I have been at Djarragun College for nearly 3 years. Today I am going to speak about what being a student at Djarragun College has done for me. In my past here at Djarragun College, I haven’t always been the best student. My time here has made me see that there are other opportunities and choices in life. I have seen a lot of drugs and alcohol abuse in the communities and islands. Me- as an indigenous person- I hope to inspire other indigenous people to take the opportunities that are out there in life.
I want to be an indigenous artist and my artwork reflects my pride in my culture. Being at this College I have had many teachers help me and make me feel proud of who I am. They give me support and the opportunity to do something with my life. They have helped me believe that I can do it. I hear stories about kids who have had a hard life and I want to say to them there are people out there who can help you and I also want to be one of those people in the future. Being here today I feel proud to be an indigenous student and artist. Each and every one of us can make a difference in our life and other people’s lives.

Now I will read you a poem I wrote in English about how my life has changed by being at Djarragun College.

Taicee - Free Verse

Life is so hard
but
I just push on
I push on
I won’t forget
the life that's
long gone
it’s gone

see I go home and
back
yet I’m still here
standing

I’ve worked so hard now look at me
laughing
I think to myself
WHO WAS THE PERSON THAT I WAS?
I won’t go back I know that for sure

and now I have hopes and dreams
that I know will take me far

with a little help and support
it will be no trouble at all

No comments:

Post a Comment